Sunday, August 7, 2011

no decisions?

I'm trying a new church tomorrow. I like the church I've been going to. I have no complaints about the people or the place itself. Everyone is really nice and laid back. I feel like everyone that I have met that goes there has a genuine love for God and their fellow believers. Why the change then? There isn't a decision time. I know this sounds small...but I think it's really big. I mean, when you walk in the music is blaring. So loud that I wont sit in the main room because if it hurts my ears I KNOW that it isn't good for Ryot. The songs are current and there are huge screens to see the words. Then there is a time for the offering usually while there is a video about some topic pertaining to current events at the church or what the topic of the sermon is. Then there is the sermon. I haven't heard the senior pastor speak yet because he is out of town but all of the guest speakers have been great. I feel like they are knowledgeable and that they have a passion about what they are talking about. My only issue with the church is that there is no decision time. There is no time for those who want to join the church or make a profession of their faith. There is no time to challenge the people. The sermon ends, and everyone gets up and leaves. Maybe I'm old fashioned. Maybe I'm just used to the Rocky Bayou way of doing things...but i think that time is so important. What if there is a person who wants to talk more about salvation? the sermon ends and that person goes home instead of being urged to pray and talk to someone more. Now, I know that if God has called someone, that they don't have to be in church, but I think that that is part of the reason for the church. It is a gathering of people - a fellowship of like minded people who should be there to support each other and encourage each other in the word. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm honing on in this because I haven't found that church family yet. But there is a part of me that is really bothered by this. I just think that there are so many missed opportunities by cutting that portion of the service out. I don't think that a church needs to badger people into coming forward...but giving them the opportunity, encouragement, and support to ask questions is an important part!

I don't think this would weigh so heavy on my mind if it wasn't important. So tomorrow, Warm Springs Baptist Church here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

blah blah blah...Tell me what you think!