Sunday, April 15, 2012

Seeking God

I have heard, been taught my whole life, read in scripture and believe that the Holy Spirit lives in believers. I know that He is part of the trinity and guides, comforts, convicts and loves me every moment of every day. Today however, was the first time (that i can remember) hearing God as the Holy Spirit being referred to as the "in-dwelling of Christ". Now, those sound like the same thing...because they are. But just that small change of wording stood out to me today:

The Holy Spirit lives in me.

The Holy Spirit is the in-dwelling of Christ.

The Holy Spirit should be an active source of energy in my actions. The Holy Spirit is the IN-DWELLING of Christ. A constant guide. A forever Father.

I asked this question earlier on my facebook:

"If the disciples who lived and talked and walked with Jesus were told to wait on the Holy Spirit, how much more do I need the Holy Spirit to lead my life?" My Pastor today was speaking on how much of a necessity it is for believers to consult and take direction from the Holy Spirit. I mean, think about it. What is my purpose on this earth. My sole purpose. GLORIFY GOD. My purpose is not to be a good mom, wife, employee, sister or friend. It is not to be the fastest, smartest or prettiest. It is to glorify God in every breath, every action, every thought that passes my brain that God gave me to think with in the first place. So, if I believe whole-heartedly that my purpose is to glorify God in everything I do, Pastor Sonny asked the question why would we dare not give the Holy Spirit at least a small thought in the morning? Why would we not be on our knees praying for guidance and discernment and love for the people in our lives? Why would we not be consulting the Holy Spirit before facing a world that is full of obstacles to distract us?

I'm guilty. I don't read my Bible in the morning. And I have PLENTY of excuses. I'm tired or the baby is awake and needs my attention or I am running late or I am whatever. But then think about this....if you know that you have to be up early for a fishing trip or you are going to have a busy day with the kids, what do you typically do. "I gotta go to bed early because I have a busy day tomorrow." "I gotta go to bed early because I have to get up super early." Why do we not have the passion for reading the scripture. My friend and sunday school teacher repeatedly says, Christ is all. If I truly believe that Christ is all, why is it more important to get an extra 30 min of sleep than it is for me to dive into the Word?

If we believe that we are placed on this earth to glorify God, should we not be seeking Him on how to do that in our daily lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

blah blah blah...Tell me what you think!