Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Temporary

I have been learning a lot about God's sustaining power and His glory. This morning I read a couple verses that really touched my heart.

2 Corinthians 4:11-18
11For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that his life may also be revealed in our mortal body.
12 So then, death is at work in us, but life is at work in you.
It is written: “I believed; therefore I have spoken.” Since we have that same spirit of faith, we also believe and therefore speak, 14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself.
15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Now I know that I have said this before but its just a concept that I have to not just say and read but apply to everyday life.

Everything is for God's glory.

Its not as easy to apply this to everyday life but I think its the foundation of ministry, salvation and life itself. Everything encompasses joy, promotions, new babies, new friends as well as heartache, death, financial troubles, etc. everything is for God's glory so that we overflow in thankfulness and give glory to God. This passage just talks about how our bodies are wasting away but life is being renewed in us. Our bodies get old and we endure affliction so that Christ's life may be revealed in us. I have a tenancy to think that life is about me or my relationships. It's human nature. But my life is not about how well I do at my job, if i'm a good parent or good wife. Those should be the blessings that God had given us that are used as tools to give him glory. I can give him glory in my parenting because i'm sharing the love of Jesus with my daughter and raising her in the ways of the Lord so she can spread the gospel. I do well at my job so that people can see not my abilities but that of Christ in me. I am a good wife and Mt husband and I seek the Lord for guidance so that people can see the picture of what God's relationship with His children is supposed to be like. I seek the Lord for guidance in finances and pray for blessing but try to be a good steward of what I have and he does receive the glory.

I don't believe that he causes bad things to happen but I do believe that he allows then to happen so that we fall on our faces and seek and praise God. Then if we are faithful to give God the glory, our brothers and sisters will be uplifted and encouraged and those who do not believe can be drawn closer to Him. So just as vs. 18 says, we fix our eyes not on what is seen but what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal.

My financial trouble is temporary.
My heartache is temporary.
My fear is temporary.
My insecurity is temporary.

God's love, faithfulness, redeeming power and glory are eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

blah blah blah...Tell me what you think!