Friday, October 12, 2012

Asking For Clarity

Happy Friday to you! I got Starbucks this morning and it was DELICIOUIS! There is just something marvelous about drinking a hot cup of coffee - preferrably a triple shot - in the morning. It gives me a little boost I enjoy and just tickles my tastebuds with delight. Normally I am not too thrilled about fridays at work because it is payday for my employees. There is usually a lot of conflict and interesting questions like "Why do I have to pay my back child support?" or "How could I have turned my timesheet in if I was in jail?" UGH! So to boost my spirits and my patience I got a nice cup of Joe. (A.D.D. moment - why do they call it a cup of Joe? I have no idea. I will have to look it up. Thank you, society slang, for igniting my curiosity. Google, I will visit you in a moment.) Enough of the A.D.D, now on to the intelligent part of my brain...

A couple Sundays ago, a question was answered that I have thought about so many times. Now, I can't exactly tell you what question was asked because I was still thinking about a point that had been made a few minutes earlier. I only heard Jason's answer, "No." That, unfortunately, doesn't help you much so I will ellaborate. Jason and other members in our Sunday school went on to explain that we can't question God's decisions and His will to give to favor to some and not to others. So many times I have asked myself things like:

"Aren't we ALL God's children?"
"Doesn't God love everyone?"

I think the first time that it really hit me was a couple years ago when I was reading the story when Moses was freeing the Israelites from Pharoh's slavery in Egypt. The Bible says in Exodus 4:21 that God hardened Pharoh's heart. I was truly astonished when I read this. I mean, how could God do this? I expected God to be this loving Father drawing people towards Him not purposefully hardening their hearts. Then I was lead to Romans 9:14-24, which really helps explain this for me.

Romans 9:14-24
"14 What shall we say then? Is there injustice on God's part? By no means! 15 For he says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” 16 So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[b] but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” 18 So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19 You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22 What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory— 24 even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

God made me human, with a big heart. If everything that happens in life is for God's glory, then we have to surrender even this human element that we were created with to God. I have always wanted to believe in happy endings but God's design of a happy ending is His glory, not my fairytale. Do I believe that God's glory is the most important thing? Yes. Do I believe God is Sovereign and sustains every person, thoughts, action, natural disaster, orbit, etc. (everything) Yes. God is perfect. God is sovereign. Therefore His choices and decisions are perfect even if we don't understand them.

Could it be - far beyond my capacity of understanding - that God creates certain people and happenings for the sole purpose of his glory even if it completely negates everything that we think is "supposed" to happen and be?

And if this is the case, then instead of praying for God to change His mind, should we not pray that our mind be transformed to understanding His will?

I do not have all the answers. I'm still perplexed by this concept and seeking God for clarity. But I figure, if I knew all the answers there would be no reason for faith. So I trust that God is Sovereign and I take relief in the fact that I don't have to know all the answers.

So far, I like this journey. :) I am so grateful that God reveals himself to a puney little "ant" (to steal Jason's term) like me. I hope that I can get more clarity in the future, but if I don't I am so blessed beyond measure at what I have already been entrusted with. All the praise and glory goes to our perfect, forgiving, all-knowing, Savior. :) Again, Happy FRIDAY TO YOU!






No comments:

Post a Comment

blah blah blah...Tell me what you think!