Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thankful November Day 13 - Music


Thankful November Day 13 - Music

I can play the piano. Not very well, but I could get better if I practiced. Part 2 of my child-hood was filled with talented musicians. My cousins are very talented musicians playing the flute, piccolo, drums and other percussion, piano, guitar and of course the infamou RECORDER. haha Some of my fondest memories were singing with my slew of sisters. Picking the song or making up a song, ranging harmonies or a steady melody, we had so much fun. I don't know what it is about music but it always had a way of speaking to me so much deeper than regular words, lectures or poetry ever could. I don't view myself as a talented musician, but I really enjoy myself and I think that is what is important anyway.

I don't know what your "great escape" is. It might be a secluded forrest with all the trees and creature surrounding you. It might be with a view of the snow-covered mountains and crisp morning air. For me, it is sinking my toes into the sand and hearing the waves crash and the birds enjoying their day. When I hear good music, it just transports me to another place. I hear the beginning measures of "Gravity" by John Mayer and I can feel the sand between my toes. I hear Jack Johnson's "Banana Pancakes" and I can feel the breeze to my back. I listen to the Yanni's masterful composing and it literally takes me to a place where I can hear the waves gliding across the sand.

I have always felt a special connection to music. I know that it is an incredible blessing and I am so grateful. When I am being stubborn or when life gets in the way of sitting down and communing with God, He has always reached out to me through music. He plays a song and I instantly feel connected to Him. I can sing and worship Him on my way to or from work. I can have long times of prayer and praise during roadtrips. I can be folding laundry and that familiar song comes on the radio and I just get a moment where it is me and Him. Me and my Abba Father spending quality time together. It speaks directly to my heart.

Like I said before, I am not a great singer, but I LOVE to sing. I sing in the car, in the shower, at work, at home, in the grocery store, while cooking dinner, while rocking Ryot to sleep and pretty much everywhere else. There is rarely a time of the day where I don't hear some music or lyrics in my head. I have had this one song stuck in my head lately and it plays on the radio at the PERFECT moment every time. I sing at the top of my lungs even if people are staring while I'm driving or even if Ryot looks at me like I've lost my mind. It just brings me to that place of remembering how great God is. It is a song that when I hear it, immediately transports me into the presence of my living Savior and I can worship Him. It is a beautiful song by Chris Tomlin called "How can I keep from singing":

There is an endless song, echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring
And though the storms may come, I am holding on
To the rock I cling

How can I keep from singing Your praise?
How can I ever say enough, how amazing is Your love!
How can I keep from shouting Your name?
I know I am loved by the King and it makes my heart want to sing!

I will lift my eyes in the darkest night
For I know my Savior lives!
And I will walk with You knowing You'll see me through
And sing the songs You give

How can I keep from singing Your praise?
How can I ever say enough, how amazing is Your love!
How can I keep from shouting Your name?
I know I am loved by the King and it makes my heart want to sing!

I can sing in the troubled times, sing when I win
I can sing when I lose my step and I fall down again
I can sing 'cause You pick me up, sing 'cause You're there
I can sing 'cause You hear me, Lord, when I call to You in prayer
I can sing with my last breath, sing for I know
That I'll sing with the Angels and the Saints around the throne!

How can I keep from singing Your praise?
How can I ever say enough, how amazing is Your love!
How can I keep from shouting Your name?
I know I am loved by the King and it makes my heart,
I am loved by the King and it makes my heart,
I am loved by the King and it makes my heart want to sing, yeah
I can sing

No comments:

Post a Comment

blah blah blah...Tell me what you think!