Friday, November 9, 2012

Thankful November Days 8 & 9: Coffee and My Job


Thankful November Day 8- Coffee

My first job was working at a grocery store when I was 15 yrs old. When they stopped working with my school schedule, I started a search for a new job. I heard that Emerald Coast Coffee (no longer in business) was hiring...but I didn't like coffee. I didn't even like the smell of coffee. When I met with the owner to interview, I flat out told her I didn't like coffee. Thinking of it now, it probably wasn't the best approach, however, I got the job. I convinced her that because I didn't like coffee, I wouldn't be drinking all of it so she was really saving money by hiring me. I told her I was a good saleswoman and people would never know that I didn't like the stuff. She bought into my hype so I got the job. Soon I was promoted to a supervisory position and running the kitchen on Saturday mornings as well. Due to this, I needed a little extra energy. I was working A LOT and going to school so 5am came shockingly early. My coworkers started me out with adding a shot to my "frappe", then when I got used to that nasty taste I added another shot. I started liking this little bean and it gave me the little kick I desired for the early morning rush of breakfast clans and coffee addicts. As it started to get colder outside, the frappe's were not as enjoyable. So I added a shot to my hot chocolate one day...BAM - Mocha addict. Loved it. I started appreciating the flavor of the coffee bean and all the different ways you can mold the flavor to meet your craving.

At this point, my love was only for latte's (espresso and steamed milk) and not regular "drip" coffee. I have to credit my love for brewed coffee to my best friend, same-size buddy, Vanessa Smokin' Hot Elizabeth Van Patten. She makes the BEST coffee that I have ever tasted in my life and I'm sure it's because she puts so much LOVE into it just for me, right Bestie?

Long story short, I am addicted to coffee and am SO thankful that it is one of the little blessings I have in life. I know it is something small but when I think about the little things that just put a smile on my face, this is definitely one of them. I have so many fond memories working at Seattle Drip with my friends, having a hot cup of coffee staring at the CO mountains in the crisp morning air and all of the meaningful conversations I have had over nice cup o' Joe with friends. I do count it as a blessing in life and am so thankful for the little things like this that add sparkle to my life.

Day 9- My Job

Yes, my love for coffee comes before my love for my job. That might be messed up but an addicts life is never easy. :)

In all honesty, I am so thankful for my job. For the first time in a VERY long time I can say that I love my job. Most of the people I work with are pleasant. MY job requirements and expectations are clearly defined. I have respect. My knowledge and capabilities are recognized and celebrated. (I'm not saying this to sound conceited although I do think it comes off this way a little bit. I am not perfect. I make plenty of mistakes, but it is really nice that my bosses recognize that I do have valuable knowledge and experience that is a good asset to the company.) My bosses and coworkers trust me. They listen to my opinion and take my suggestions sometimes. They are flexible and understand that life gets in the way. They don't micromanage. (which is why I am able to write this blog right now) These are ALL things that I am soooo grateful for. God has blessed me so much with this opportunity to gain more experience and work with some really cool people. I feel confident when I come to work. I don't dread waking up in the morning. Sure, I miss my sweet angel Ryot, but loving my job just makes me love the time I get to spend with her more. I am so so so thankful that I have a place to come where I can be ME, play my Christian uplifting music, voice my opinion, leave for lunch (sometimes) and have a uplifting, positive, happy environment to make money.

I've heard it said, "Happy employees are productive employees" and I am a VERY productive employee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

blah blah blah...Tell me what you think!